Furniture makeover

Milk Paint French Nightstand Makeovers

January 19, 2015
French Nightstand Makeover

Hello everyone!

Last week I gave these French nightstands a makeover using Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint.  Even though this not the look I was going for, I absolutely love how they turned out!  I purchased these from The Salvation Army for $15.00 each!! I love thrifting!  :)

Though ugly in their original state, I knew they had the potential to transform into something fabulous. Magical even.  (I may have got that from a Facebook friend who saw my after picture, lol)

002

Milk paint is like no other paint that I have used before, but you can create many different looks using it.  I would suggest if you want to give it a try, look at You Tube videos, Pinterest and Miss Mustard Seed’s website. I am not going to give you a full tutorial on how to use it because it really is a tricky paint to use and I am no expert, but I will tell you how I achieved this look. I have only used milk paint twice, and both times it was an  emotional roller coaster ride! I know, I know, that sounds dramatic, but for real! This is how it generally goes;

First coat: “Wow, I love this paint!”

Second or third coat: “What the heck is happening here, I don’t think this is supposed to look like this!  Oh no! This is not what I wanted, what should I do now? I have officially ruined this piece!”  Then I have serious thoughts of bringing it to the end of the driveway for the trash man to pick up.

By the end:  “I LOVE MILK PAINT!! This is fantastic I couldn’t have even dreamed this look up!  Hmmm…. what can I paint next?!”  :)

Ok so, I didn’t prep these pieces at all before painting, I just washed them with a bit of soap and water.  I did add a bonding agent to the paint, because I did not want the paint to chip.  I clearly didn’t use enough, because I don’t follow directions well. My plan was to use Trophy Gray, a darker gray, as the base coat then layer Grainsack, a really light grayish beige, over the Trophy Gray and then sand it back a bit so you could see the darker gray beneath. I applied two coats of  Trophy  and then happily mixed up my  Grainsack paint and started applying, well it just wasn’t looking the way I expected so I had to repaint the piece over. Back to square one again…..  and thinking cap on.  I then mixed up a wash (a very thin watery paint) with the Grainsack color and tested the “‘wash” on the side of one of the tables.  I really liked this look, so  I “washed” the tables working in small sections and wiping off the excess paint after I applied it. The Grainsack wash really brought out the details in the tables.

French Nightstand Makeover

The lovely chipping I achieved from not adding enough of the bonding agent, so glad I didn’t.  :)

Milk Paint makeover

I then finished with an antiquing wax to deepen the color and protect the surfaces from further chipping.

Nightstand makeover

I love setting up my photo shoots and taking the pictures, hope you don’t mind me sharing a few more. :)

Nightstand Makeover

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Milk Paint nightstand

Click here to view my DIY Burlap Topiary project.

Nightstand makeover

French Nightstands Makeover

Hannah kept stealing my flowers when I was trying to shoot this! Haha such is life with a toddler, right?! 😉 So what do you think? Do you want to grab a paintbrush and give them a new paint job, or do you appreciate the chippy, old look of them?

Thank you so much for dropping by! I do appreciate every visit! If you missed my French Chair Makeover you can see that HERE!

Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

Signature4

Also sharing with

Monday: Between Naps on the Porch, Cedar Hill Farmhouse,  Thrifty Décor Chick

Tuesday:  Maybey She Made ItProdigal Pieces

Wednesday: The Turquois Home, Savvy Southern Style

Thursday:  Canary Street Crafts, Craftberry Bush

Friday: Sarah Titus  Miss Mustard SeedThirty Handmade Days

Sunday:  Finding Silver Pennies ,  DIY Showoff

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

• Reply Tyrell January 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Love them! The color and texture are a perfect compliment to the feminine shape! Your posts are awesome and entertaining.

• Reply Kristy January 19, 2015 at 6:09 pm

love how they turned out!!! JUST GORGEOUS.

• Reply Tara January 19, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Love them!! They look beautiful. And a pleasure as always to read your post :)

• Reply Frugal Friday Link Up Party {Week 25} - Sarah Titus January 30, 2015 at 8:00 am

[…] Milk Paint French Nightstand Makeover {The Cedar Shake Cape} […]

• Reply tara January 30, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Love it! Do you know the paint colors on your walls? Love the combination! !

• Reply The Cedar Shake Cape January 30, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Thank you Tara! The walls are Stardust by Benjamin Moore.

• Reply tara January 30, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for replying. So the top color is stardust? What is the bottom color? Do you use satin or eggshell or demigod l semi gloss? My dad has those exact nightstands. I told him I want them to do exactly what you have done. You have done great work :)

• Reply The Cedar Shake Cape January 30, 2015 at 1:53 pm

We used an eggshell finish for the top and the bottom. The bottom is just a base white. Benjamin Moore as well. Bought off the shelf and didn’t mix any color in. Let me know how your night stands come out! I would love to see! :)

• Reply French Chair Makeover | The Cedar Shake Cape February 2, 2015 at 3:17 pm

[…] noticed, I love the Frenchy look! If you missed my French nightstands you can see them here! I also refinished a French hutch that I will be showing you at some point. I actually did this […]

• Reply thrifty & domestic February 3, 2015 at 11:51 am

Love the nightstand makeover! I’ve never used/heard of milk paint! How fun. I love the character the scuffs/chips add.

• Reply Jamie | anderson + grant February 5, 2015 at 12:56 pm

These look fantastic. Isn’t it amazing what you can pick up inexpensively and turn into something incredible!?!?! I loved hearing your experience with milk paint. I’ve always stuck to chalk paint, but the finish of this makes me want to give the milk paint a try. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us at today’s party!

• Reply The Cedar Shake Cape February 5, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Thank you Jamie! Milk paint can create beautiful finishes. Let me know if you end up trying it! :)

• Reply Amy | Canary Street Crafts February 6, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Misty these are gorgeous!! I love the authentic chippiness (is that a word?) Milk Paint gives a piece, but I have to confess I’ve been afraid to try it!! I really love the way your pieces turned out though so I’ll have to give it a shot soon :).

• Reply The Cedar Shake Cape February 6, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Thanks so much Amy! Lol Chippiness is a word in my book anyway! It can be intimidating, but give it a shot! With a little patience and some practice you can create some awesome finishes! Thanks for looking!

• Reply Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces July 3, 2015 at 5:48 am

Absolutely gorgeous transformation, Misty! The look like they have life now and are beautiful in their new look. I’ll be featuring your sweet prodigal pair today. 😉
    Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces recently posted…Faux Grain Sack Table TutorialMy Profile

• Reply Misty July 6, 2015 at 9:58 am

Thanks so much for the feature, Larissa! So excited! :)