Furniture makeover

Vintage Telephone Table Makeover

June 26, 2015
Telephone Table Makeover

Vintage Telephone Table Makeover

Hi Guys!

Today I am sharing a Vintage Telephone Table makeover! Not something you see everyday. I think these tables are also known as a Gossip Table…? Do you remember these? When Kevin brought it home for me, my first thought was it’s a school desk. Then my Mom told me what it really was.  :) I feel like maybe my Grandparents might have had one? I can picture a small table and chair and a mauve rotary phone sitting on it. Oh the good old days!

Here is the lovely “Before”.

Telephone Table

I went with a “French Shabby Chic” look. You know me, I love that style! 😉

Telephone Table Makeover

Last Fall I had great plans of painting my Living Room so I picked up a couple samples of paint and tried them on the wall. Don’t tell anyone, but the room has NOT been painted yet and the samples are still on my wall! Yup! They are! Every single week, I say I am going to get this room painted and than it seems like such a daunting task that I never do it! I would rather stick with painting furniture. :) But anyways, I used one of the samples for this chair. It’s called Edgecomb Gray by Benjamin Moore. It is a white, with Gray undertones. I actually made my own chalk paint recipe for this makeover. Let me know if you would like me to share it. I really liked how it worked and was able to get good coverage with 2 coats. Once dry, I gave it a light distressing for that fabulous Shabby Chic look. :)

Telephone Table Makeover

I covered the seat with a French Reproduction Burlap Grain Sack that I had found online awhile ago. If you would like, you can grab one here. (Non Affiliate)

Telephone Table Makeover

For the top, I just used a piece of burlap and painted on the faux grain sack stripes. I had originally just kept it plain, and I wasn’t really liking it. I think the stripes added a little extra appeal to it. Don’t ya think? Overall, I am pleased with the finished product! This was one of those makeovers that I was not loving until the very end. Once I added the stripes, I was like “Ok, now I am happy”!

Telephone Table Makeover

What do you think?

Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend!

Signature4

P.S Don’t forget to Pin It! :)

Telephone Table Makeover

Also sharing with

Monday: Between Naps on the Porch, Cedar Hill Farmhouse,  Thrifty Décor Chick, 2 Bees in a Pod

Tuesday:  Maybey She Made It, Pocketful Of Posies, Bliss Ranch

Wednesday: The Turquois Home, Savvy Southern Style Weekend Craft

Thursday:  Canary Street Crafts, Craftberry Bush

Friday: Sarah Titus  Miss Mustard SeedThirty Handmade Days

Sunday:  Finding Silver Pennies ,  DIY Showoff

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply Joy@aVintageGreen June 26, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Hi Misty, pinned. Phone desk looks just right. Love stripes.

• Reply Misty June 27, 2015 at 10:17 am

Thanks so much, Joy! I really appreciate it! :)

• Reply Amy | Canary Street Crafts June 26, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Misty, this is the best telephone table makeover I’ve ever seen. I tend to think they still look dated even after a makeover but this is gorgeous and I’d love to have it in my house.
    Amy | Canary Street Crafts recently posted…Your Turn To Shine – Link Party No. 37My Profile

• Reply Misty June 27, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thank so much, Amy! I totally know what you mean about them looking dated! I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out, but I am glad I stuck with it until the end! :)

• Reply Carol Paulus-Kalis June 26, 2015 at 11:57 pm

I think you really did a great job. You took a piece of furniture from the last century and turned it into an up-to-the-minute piece of furniture. Good that you painted a stripe on the back. It looks fantastic. This piece used to be the cat’s pajamas many years ago. Good conversation piece (no pun intended). Good job!!!

Carol P-K

• Reply Misty June 27, 2015 at 10:26 am

Thank you so much, Carol! Lol definitely a good conversation piece! 😉

• Reply Shelly @ 100Things2Do.ca June 29, 2015 at 11:26 am

I’ve seen these tables everywhere – but never could think of anything to do with them. Your transformation has me re-thinking!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Found you through Between Naps on the Porch
    Shelly @ 100Things2Do.ca recently posted…DIY Sisal Rope PlacematsMy Profile

• Reply Misty June 29, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Thank you, Shelly!

• Reply Susan June 30, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job transforming this piece. The fabric is perfect.

• Reply Misty June 30, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thanks, Susan!

• Reply Vicki and Jennifer 2 Bees in a Pod June 30, 2015 at 8:30 pm

This telephone table makeover is adorable! Love your design choices!
    Vicki and Jennifer 2 Bees in a Pod recently posted…Living Room Refresh and TourMy Profile

• Reply Misty June 30, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Thank you so much! :) Happy 4th!

• Reply Teresa June 30, 2015 at 11:18 pm

I love this! It looks so good…the white is fantastic and I love the grain sack fabric. Great job!
    Teresa recently posted…Kitchen Remodel – AgainMy Profile

• Reply Misty July 1, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Thank you, Teresa! :)

• Reply Brooke Riley~Re-fabbed July 1, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I have one of these that I am getting ready to make-over! I can’t wait to get started. You did a GREAT job! I love the fabric choice!
    Brooke Riley~Re-fabbed recently posted…Project OverloadMy Profile

• Reply Misty July 1, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Thanks, Brooke! Cant wait to see yours! Have a great 4th!

• Reply Sydney @Tastefully Frugal July 4, 2015 at 4:45 pm

This turned out so great! I love the look of the paint and burlap together. I would love to hear how you make your chalk paint :)
    Sydney @Tastefully Frugal recently posted…Local Flavor SwapMy Profile

• Reply Misty July 6, 2015 at 9:58 am

Thanks so much, Sydney! Post coming soon on DIY Chalk Paint! :) Have a great day

• Reply cat @ Pocketful of Posies July 5, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Misty – You did a fantastic job on your telephone table! I have one sitting in my garage that is waiting its turn to be fixed up. I think yours has inspired me to finally get with it and it finished! Thank you so much for linking up with us at Dream. Create. Inspire. Link! I hope we’ll see you again this week!

Cat
    cat @ Pocketful of Posies recently posted…Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. Party #4My Profile

• Reply Misty July 6, 2015 at 9:53 am

Thanks so much, Cat! Cant wait to see yours! :)

• Reply Cat @ MaryMarthaMama July 7, 2015 at 11:44 am

I totally thought it was an old school desk at first glance too! Now you need to find a cute vintage phone to put on it :)
    Cat @ MaryMarthaMama recently posted…Peach Crumble RecipeMy Profile

• Reply Misty July 7, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thanks, Cat! Agreed! :)

• Reply Heather @ Viral Upcycle July 16, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Hi Misty, the grain sack is a perfect fit for this old telephone desk. Adorable!
    Heather @ Viral Upcycle recently posted…Completely Gray Balloon Back ChairMy Profile

• Reply Misty July 18, 2015 at 10:16 am

Thanks so much, Heather!

• Reply Jelica August 19, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I loved this post! That telephone (aka ‘gossip’) table is such a unique find and your makeover is just beautiful. I wonder how much gossiping was done at that very spot 😉 Thanks for sharing!

Jelica
    Jelica recently posted…Our Patio in Progress: 5 Takeaways for Your HomeMy Profile

• Reply Misty August 23, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Thanks so much :)

• Reply Betsy September 7, 2015 at 10:21 am

What an amazing transformation. I LOVE IT! Thanks so much for sharing at the Vintage Inspiration Party.